Pages

4/03/2012

I've been up to something....Having Babies

Baby tomatoes that is. 
I've been a little busy lately and wanted to share what's been keeping me.
Let's see, where should I start? 
 For the past few years I've been talking about wanting to grow some tomatoes.  Well, I finally did it and it's so much fun.  I bought two, one is a popper tomato the other is a grape tomato.  Yeah, I know they are very similar but one already had a few green baby tomatoes on it so I kinda cheated getting started on that one but the other didn't have any.  I have to say that those plants are the fastest growing plants that I know of.  I think they grew four inches every day.  I'm happy to report they are still alive and I now have baby RED tomatoes.  So excited!

Here it is...

In the beginning...
As you can see they are about a foot or so tall.


I must confess hubby helped me plant them, but I'm taking care of them.  I guess it's a joint venture.
We needed a couple of drain holes so out came the drill.
Next rocks.  He said they needed them, so OK. Something to do with draining.  Remember I'm new at this.


The old staple, Miracle Gro.  I was told that was probably the best to use.

Now the planting. 

Planted and ready for nurturing.

And Now.....fast forward a about 3 weeks...
One is about four feet tall and the other is about three feet tall. 
I decided to do container gardening and keep them on our pool deck to help reduce the bug issue and I think I made the right decision.

Just look at them!  Ahh you can see my itsy bitsy red tomatoes.
I  now have two more starter tomato plants that will have larger tomatoes and two green pepper plants.  I'll share those later when their babies arrive, me being the proud mama that I am.

Part 2 of I've been up to something will continue tomorrow.
Have a great day.

8 comments:

  1. How fun! We are also starting some plants this year for the first time. Hope mine start off as well as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! You are up to growing a salad arn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your tomato plants look great. Love seeing your process. We planted some too. One is roma tomato and already has about a dozen green ready to get red in the sunshine. Our other is beefsteak tomatoes that I planted from seed. We also planted 4 pepper plants in pots. I hope we all have good luck this year. We always had a nice garden but since living in North Texas it has been too hot for a large style garden that my hubby likes, so we are trying the pots now too.
    Yours look fabulous. It will be so nice to fix a salad with your own tomatoes.

    Wishing you a beautiful Easter.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look incredible! I have tried growing tomatoes for years but have never had any success! Fingers crossed that they work out this year. Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! I want a garden and fresh veggies so bad...the Mister just isn't seeing my vision though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done a wonderful job planting your tomatoes. There's nothing like home grown tomatoes. My dad used to have a garden across the street from our house growing up, and he would come home with the most amazing vegetables. I want to plant a tomatoe vine someday too, so I know what you are talking about, my friend. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing how they turn out.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Florida, too & my tomatoes last through the winter! Love them. Homegrown tomatoes are the best! You'll enjoy them lots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that exact same baby angel statue in a bed of hostas. I'm forever standing her up because the puppies always plow through there 100mph and knock her and her frends down!

    ReplyDelete